Interlibrary Loan Policy (ILL)
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is the borrowing and lending of materials between libraries to increase the materials available to our patrons. After you place a request, we search an online library database to determine the item's availability. When we find a matching record we make an online request with multiple libraries for the material, usually starting with libraries in Arizona and then branching out across the country.
- Before submitting an interlibrary loan (ILL) request a patron must have a valid Flagstaff City-Coconino County (FPL) library card, and must have a permanent address in Coconino County. A patron may not use someone else's card.
- FPL can only borrow books and request photocopied articles. Old, rare, items of high value, whole issues or volumes of serials, reference books, genealogy books, theses, dissertations, microfilm, videos, DVDs, CDs, audiotapes, new books (less than 1 year old), CANNOT be borrowed. For new books submit a customer request for purchase at the Information Desk or online at (insert web address here).
- Interlibrary loan requests typically take 2 to 8 weeks.
- ILL requests may be submitted online at the FPL website, www.flagstaffpubliclibrary.org.
- Out-of-town patrons are strongly encouraged to use their local libraries so they can use borrowed materials in a timely manner because materials may come with short lending periods or may be restricted to in-house library use only.
- NAU students should use Cline Library Document Delivery/ILL Services (523-6808) because of their expertise in locating academic materials.
- An ILL loan request will not be processed for an item owned by FPL unless the item has been declared lost or missing in the library catalog. Patrons must check the library catalog before placing requests. Items owned by this library, but checked out to another patron, should have a hold placed on them.
- FPL does not borrow multiple copies of books for book clubs or academic classes.
- Loan periods are 3 weeks unless the lending library dictates otherwise. Items may not be renewed nor may the same item be requested more often than once every 6 months.
- Items are usually free. We will contact you if an item is only available for a fee.
- Patrons may have a maximum of six (6) ILL requests in process at any one time.
- When picking up books or articles patrons must show proof of identity. The borrower is responsible for the borrowed item regardless of who retrieves it.
- Patrons may choose which library they would like to pick up their materials. Materials may be picked up at the circulation desk at the Main Library at 300 W. Aspen or the circulation desk of the East Branch Community Library located at 3000 N. 4th St.
- ILL requests will not be processed for a patron in poor standing (outstanding bills, overdue library books, etc.).
- Failure to return materials due to damage or loss may harm the relationships with other libraries and compromise the ability of FPL to borrow in the future. Therefore, patrons may have their ILL privileges suspended if they repeatedly (more than three times) lose or damage materials, or do not return ILL materials on time. Failure to pick up requested items more than 3 times will also result in having your privileges suspended. Lost or damaged materials will be charged to the patron and will appear on his/her library account resulting in the suspension of lending privileges until the library account has been settled. Replacement costs are set by the lending library and can range from $30 to $500. Many libraries set standard replacement costs that may be much higher than the actual price of the item.
- Copyright compliance must be adhered to for all photocopy requests. Interlibrary loan activities are governed by Section 108 of the U.S. Copyright Act.
Make an Interlibrary Loan request
Back to the Policies main page
Last updated on June 21, 2012