What is Books by Mail?
A free library service which sends large print books, braille books, and audiobook CDs to homebound residents of Coconino County who are otherwise unable to access library materials.
Who is it for?
Library patrons who are physically or visually impaired and are unable to use our regular services to access library material. Patrons interested can apply by filling out a Books by Mail application with the "Certification of Disability" portion confirmed.
Certification of Disability
Individuals requiring large print books or audio materials due to a physical or visual disability are eligible to receive these materials postage-free through the “FREE MATTER FOR BLIND OR DISABLED PERSONS” postal provisions. To receive this benefit, the Post Office requires that individuals have their eligibility certified. Immediate relatives may not certify applicants. Individuals may not certify themselves, regardless of profession.
Who Can Certify?
- Ophthalmologist or Optometrist
- Registered Nurse
- Professional staff member of a hospital or other health or social service agency
- In absence of any of the above, eligibility may be certified by a professional librarian whose competence under specific circumstances is acceptable to the Library of Congress.
Easy to Register
1. Call 928-213-2380, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop by the information desk for more information to begin the application process. You can also access the application here.
2. You will receive a request form so you can ask for particular books.
3. You can also order books by phone or e-mail.
Easy to Read
4. Books arrive through the U.S. postal mail.
5. Books have a four-week checkout period.
6. Read and enjoy your books.
Easy to Return
7. Place your order form in the mailbag with the returning books.
8. Place address card in bag showing library address.
9. Give the bag to your mail carrier.
Books by Mail
Flagstaff City-Coconino County Public Library
300 W. Aspen Avenue
Flagstaff, AZ 86001