The Flagstaff City-Coconino County Public Library administration and staff sincerely appreciate donations from our generous patrons. We cannot, however, accept materials with conditions or restrictions placed on them by the donor. Donations become the property of the Library to use, distribute and dispose of as we deem appropriate.
When are donations accepted?
All donations will be accepted at the Downtown Library Circulation Desk, during library hours of operation (East Flagstaff Community Library does not have the capacity to accept donations). Flat carts for materials transport are available in the Circulation Workroom and available upon request. Donations are accepted with the understanding that they become the property of the Flagstaff Public Library upon receipt and that the Library may distribute and dispose of as determined appropriate. Out-of building staff assistance involving donations transport will only be available during the hours of 11 AM to 4 PM weekdays. Staff assistance will not be available during week-ends. Staff assistance will also be dependent on available coverage and physical abilities of staff on duty.
How we use your gift
We use donations to augment our Downtown and East Flagstaff collections and to supply back-up copies of popular titles and authors in order to replace books that get worn out or damaged. We also assist other libraries in small communities in Coconino County (Tuba City, Forest Lakes, Fredonia, Grand Canyon, etc.), whose budgets are small, by giving them surplus copies of books that we already own.
Other donations go to the on-going Friends of the Library book sale at the Downtown Library and the periodic week-end book sales held in the Community Room. The Friends organization uses the funds they raise to allow the Library to buy extra things not provided for in our regular budget. Recent examples include new kick stools for reaching the high shelves, the green “shopping” baskets for patrons to use while browsing the collection, and youth programs.
When a donation is received, a receipt is available to document the nature and size of your gift for your tax records. However, Library staff is prohibited by law from placing any monetary value on the material donated.
How to donate materials
We ask that you please:
- Call first to be sure that your items can be accepted (see list of desired/undesired items) and the times when they can be received (928-213-2330 or 928-213-2348)
- Bring no more than 3 boxes at one time, unless prior arrangements have been made (due to limitations of space and staff)
The Library particularly welcomes
- Arizona titles (any age in good condition)
- Current books (novels, non-fiction on popular topics, children’s titles) copyright not more than 5 years old.
- Recent magazines (no more than 2 years old – with the exception of National Geographic)
- Commercially produced DVDs and CDs
- Textbooks (5 years old or newer)
We cannot use items that are
- Musty, moldy, or water-damaged
- Soiled with grease, dirt, food, insects, etc.
- Marked with pen, pencil, marker, crayons, highlighters, etc.
- Damaged (broken spines, loose or torn pages, torn covers)
- Home recorded audiotapes, videotapes, DVDs or CDs (These materials are in violation of copyright laws)
- Computer materials (manuals, instruction books, etc.)
- Computer Software
- Computer Hardware (CPUs, monitors, printers, scanners, etc.)
- Textbooks (older than 5 years)
- Vinyl record albums
- Commercially produced videocassettes or audio books
- Condensed books or books containing multiple full-length titles